Monday, November 18, 2013

Someone from PopCap likes my game.

I am not going to say exactly who, as I feel that would be impolite to speak on their behalf on this blog. But they were really impressed that I am a self-taught actionscript programmer and that I've only been developing the game for 11 months. He wants me to come back in 6 weeks for the next board game night to show off my progress. What am I currently programming? Last night I made a locking screen on my game, and sent out personalized letters to some friends with their own tailor made copy of the game. Each copy contains a password I made for them to unlock the game. I am not ready to release the game to the world, but I'd like to give people I know well copies so they can try it out and tell me what they think. Today I just fixed a glitch with my falling tiles. Not really a glitch as much as it was an "unexpected behavior" that resulted from my system following the rules I had laid down for it. Not sure what the vocabulary for classifying different errors is. It wasn't a syntax error, and wasn't a logic error in the sense that all the logic I had used was working how I had programmed it to. But after designing more levels, the level design didn't quite work how I wanted it to, so I modified the system to give it a... more predictable behavior. To be less abstract about it: Columns now DELAY by a few seconds before falling when the floor beneath them is blasted out. This allows for explosions to have time to sneak under those columns before the gap is sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment